It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Paul Rubin http
Sun May 4 02:17:29 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
> If you believe you must still run the old, buggy version of Berkeley DB and
> are capable of installing Python from source, I don't think it's all that
> big a deal to edit Modules/Setup to include this line:
>
>     bsddb185 bsddbmodule.c

I just tried that with a freshly unpacked Python 2.2 source tree.
Everything seemed to compile ok but then I got this error
message from the linker:

    gcc  -Xlinker -export-dynamic -o python \
                    Modules/python.o \
                    libpython2.2.a -ldl  -lpthread -lutil   -lm
    libpython2.2.a(config.o)(.data+0x34): undefined reference to `initbsddb185'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [python] Error 1

So I need to install bsddb 1.85 separately from somewhere
(sleepycat?).  I'll see what I can figure out, but evidently getting
1.85 installed and running is really not so trivial.  (The downrev
version of 1.5.2 that I'd been using has suddenly gone away in another
system upgrade).