Windows 98 and NumTut ( Numeric Tutor )

Bill Martin wcmartin at vnet.net
Sat May 24 13:50:14 EDT 2003

Maybe somebody can help me, please. I downloaded and installed NumTut (
Numeric tutor) on my laptop that uses Windows 98. The downloaded file
was a .tgz file, which I unpacked in Cygwin. Since the NumTut files are
just text (.py ) files, there seems to be no problem with this. I also
installed the same on my XP and 2000 machines, putting them in the
python22\Lib\site-packages folder. It works fine with XP and 2000, but I
can't get "from NumTut import *" to work with Win98. I've put a .pth
file in site-packages, and also set
pythonpath=c:\python22\Lib\site-packages, and, in desparation, even put
the path to NumTut in the DOS path. No matter what I do, I get the
infamous "no such module as NumTut" error message, when I try to import
into python. It works flawlessly with 2000 and XP, but not 98. Can
someone suggest what I might be doing incorrectly, please? Does win98
maybe have a problem with python? This is the first time I've
encountered a probem, 98 always seemed to work just fine. I can import
Numeric, etc., with no problem at all. I've checked and re-checked all
the obvious things, spelling, etc., but no luck. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks,

Bill Martin