IDE Feature request

Cameron Zemek grom_3 at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 11 05:49:38 EDT 2003

What features would you like to see in an open source IDE for Python?

* Refactoring (see http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/)
* Syntax checking
* Integrated debugger (set debug points in the source editor)
* Workspace support
* Code assist (also referred to as code completion)
* Integrated interactive shell
* Code browser (browse by module and type)
* Coverage analysis
* Unit test generator

What do you think of existing IDEs?

Do you think that having a plugin for an existing IDE (eg. Netbeans,
Eclipse, Visual Studio) is better then a standalone IDE?

Any other comments on an Python IDE.

Implementation thoughts on IDE:
* Use wxPython to have a cross-platform environment
* License it under the same as Python's license
* Use the scintilla editor (not sure on this)
* Included existing tools
* Write complete documentation for IDE as it is implemented
* Use mainly python as the implementation language

WARNING: I am only new to python and having an open source IDE for Python is
important for me. As I work with Python I was thinking of developing an IDE,
however it may never be very advanced compared to an IDE like Visual Studio
(see below). So in replies to this post, please indicate what you feel are
the most important features to have in an IDE.
    In general I prefer to use a text editor and command line tools. After
using eclipse (for Java programming) I have come to like doing things like
finding all calls to a method very useful, however I still like the simple
nature of text editors. I am hoping to make something in between a text
editor and an IDE.