sys.path vs os.environ['POST']

Achim Domma domma at procoders.net
Wed May 21 03:01:19 EDT 2003

Hi,

I write an extension library which depends on a lot of other libraries.
Because I want to keep these libs in a separated folder, I tried to change
windows search path for libraries in my __init__.py. If I change
os.environ['PATH'], python will still not find my extension library. If I
use sys.path.append('path/to/libs') it works ok. But only using
sys.path.append does not change the way Windows looks for DLLs. I also have
to use os.environ['PATH'] += ";path/to/libs" to let Windows find the DLLs,
which the extension lib depends on.

I would have expected that sys.path and os.environ['PATH'] are the same
thing, but it seems not! Can somebody explain the differnce to me?

regards,
Achim