File version on Windows

Matt Gerrans mgerrans at mindspring.com
Fri May 23 02:09:42 EDT 2003

If you happen to be running on a new HP or Compaq machine, you can easily
get all the available version information in a file from a pre-installed COM
Automation object called WshTools.   This is particularly handy if you need
the "Assembly Version" of a .Net assembly which has strong naming.

Here's an example:

>>> from win32com.client import Dispatch
>>> wsh = Dispatch('WshTools.SystemTools')
>>> filename = r'c:\hp\bin\WshTools.dll'
>>> wsh.GetFileVersionInfo( filename, 'FileVersion' )
u'1.1.1.0'
>>> wsh.GetFileVersionInfo( filename, 'ProductVersion' )
u'1.0.0.0'

This GetFileVersionInfo() method was added in version 1.1.1.0 of WshTools,
so if you have an older one, you won't see it.  :-(

- Matt

news:qKaza.47148$h42.22203 at twister.nyc.rr.com...