persistant web state

drs drs at ecp.cc
Tue May 20 14:25:18 EDT 2003

"Jay O'Connor" <joconnor at nets.com> wrote in message
news:20030520.091027.706043324.1320 at nets.com...
> All,
>
> I'm lloking for a technique to allow me to keep memory alive between
> invocations of a cgi program.    What I mean is that if I have two cgi
> requests come into a script, they should be able to access the same data
> in memory and not have to load from a database.
>
> Some context:  years ago I wrote a web server front end for Smalltalk
> applications.   What this allows is that the server runs continously
> between web requests and, as a result, it can cache data as Smalltalk
> objects in it's own memory and not have to reload data from disk or db
> between web requests.   This makes life easier for the developer as well
> as providing good performance.

There are many suggestions here, but no one seems to have mentioned ZEO/ZODB
(http://www.amk.ca/zodb/zodb-zeo.html) specifically which is, imho, one of
the neatest python things i have worked with.  not quite as fast as a
hypothetical persistent variable, but pretty close, and a bit safer too.

-doug