Newbie can't figure out documentation practices

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 15:48:57 EDT 2003

Aahz wrote:

> There really isn't a good solution to this problem because you're mixing
> up multiple namespaces.  You could come up with a decent solution by
> using a function call that took a string argument, a default dict
> (locals()), plus keyword-named dicts, and then doing your own
> interpolation.  I.e.:
>
> print interpolate('''
>     var x = $x
>     var y = $y
>     var self.z = $self.z
>     fun x+y+self.z = $x+$y+$self.z
>     var z from other object = $other.z
>     z from self plus other = $self.z + $other.z
>     ''',
>     locals(),
>     self=self,
>     other=other
>     )

This is more or less what Ka-Ping Yee's Itpl class does, which I actually
use.  So my whining is about the language itself, not the impossibility of
writing a solution.

> But I don't think this need is common enough in Python to make it part
> of the language definition.  You might look at helping to update PEP 215.

Been there, done that.  I like to bring this one up about once a year, when
I'm too tired to really think :)  But it never seems to get very far.  Most
python users seem perfectly happy with the current interpolation behavior
(or using homebrewed solutions), so I'm obviously in the minority.

Cheers,