A Standard

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Mon May 26 20:55:47 EDT 2003

"Luis" <ads at conquered.org> writes:
> Regardless, it seems the majority is against me on this point, but wouldn't
> you say that it might at least be useful as a free library out there for
> python??

or maybe a guide that, for each stl component, explains the equivalent
python idiom?

python combines ideas from many languages, which means that people
from other languages tend to recognise the part they know and then
want to "complete" it.  this happens particularly with functional
languages (python contains "map" and "lambda", for example).

i'm explaining this to show that the surprising level of objections
isn't personal - it's just that it happens quite often, so people tend
to unleash their standard response.

i think your idea would make an excellent project, but largely because
i believe that through doing it you'll come to understand python
better and so understand more what others are saying here - there is
some wisdom in that avalanche of negativity!  and i don't mean this
(that it would be a good project) in a nasty way - i have done the
same myself learning other languages, and it was worth the effort,
even if i eventually threw away what i had made (see, for example,
horribly ugly functional extensions to java somewhere on my web
pages!)

and, of course, if people are wrong, and it is useful, and does become
popular, then you get the additional pleasure of saying "told you so!"

cheers,
andrew

--
http://www.acooke.org