Where to insert Python readline?

Gary Bishop gb at cs.unc.edu
Sun May 18 19:14:44 EDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 17:44:21 -0500 "Chris Gonnerman"
<chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:
> I hate to say this, but I've been there and done that
> (well, mostly anyway).  Check out:

Thanks Chris,

I had already seen your Python code (and learned quite a bit) but the
link to the source appears to not be working at your web page so I
can't see the source of the dll (which I realize is really simple).

I *really* want completion and I want it all in Python using ctypes (a
really great package). I was thinking of using Fredrik's cursor control
functions (translated to Python) but your approach of relying on the
console windows native interpretation of output characters is an easier
to understand approach.

I hallucinate that with a basic system (including completion) all in
Python, we can get more people interested in expanding it to full
functionality. The main things I want are completion and history so
that IPython will work properly on Windows. Color could be cool..

I plan to use as little of Console as possible so that will be easy to
port. I got the PyOS_ReadlineFunctionPointer stuff going after my
posting. I think I'm going that way.

It would be nice if there was an easier way to takeover input editing
in Python.

gb