Finding an executable under win32

Uwe C. Schroeder uwe at oss4u.com
Thu May 1 19:27:16 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have an app that stores arbitrary files in a database. It keeps the
mimetype. When I load a file out of the database I want to open the file
with an application according to the mimetype.
This is no big deal under linux since one can store application names in the
DB and use which() to find the executable.
On Win32 however the applications are usually not in the path. I know there
are keys in the registry defining which app to use for which extension.
There are also other keys defining the command to start the application.

I'm pretty sure someone had this problem before. Is there a module or
something that actually takes a file extension (or mimetype) and finds the
corresponding application from the windows settings ?
I googled like crazy, read all docs I could find, but nothing....

Thanks

        UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC   2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425         San Bruno, CA 94066