MySQLdb warnings ... what caused them?

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Tue May 13 02:12:05 EDT 2003

I'm just getting my feet wet in MySQL and in using the Python MySQLdb
module to work with MySQL databases.

I had written the following code snippet:

c.executemany("""INSERT INTO test (ID, name, phone) VALUES (%s, %s, %s)""",
    [ (1, "mary", "111-222-3333"),
      (2, "john", "444-555-6666"),
      (3, "steve", "777-888-9999")] )

Which gave me the following error/warning message(s):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sqltest.py", line 13, in ?
    [ (1, "mary", "111-222-3333"),
  File "/big/dom/xexample/lib/python2.2/site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py",
line 162, in executemany
    r = self._query(join(q,',\n'))
  File "/big/dom/xexample/lib/python2.2/site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py",
line 249, in _query
    rowcount = self._BaseCursor__do_query(q)
  File "/big/dom/xexample/lib/python2.2/site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py",
line 176, in __do_query
    self._check_for_warnings()
  File "/big/dom/xexample/lib/python2.2/site-packages/MySQLdb/cursors.py",
line 231, in _check_for_warnings
    raise Warning, info
_mysql_exceptions.Warning: cords: 3  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 3

Although the transaction apparently succeeded, as I was able to verify at
the command line in the MySQL monitor:

mysql> SELECT ID, name, phone from test;
+------+-------+------------+
| ID   | name  | phone      |
+------+-------+------------+
| 1    | mary  | 111-222-33 |
| 2    | john  | 444-555-66 |
| 3    | steve | 777-888-99 |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So, I am wondering what caused the warning messages? I'm sure I must be
doing something that isn't recommended, but I'm not sure what, and would
like to learn to avoid it for the future and use recommended methods.

Thanks,

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/