PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Mon May 5 12:04:52 EDT 2003

In article <vbajd67kf4rs51 at corp.supernews.com>, Francis Avila wrote:
> I must agree with the general concensus on 'do...while'.  It's hardly ever
> needed, it's unpythonic, it's confusing, and it can be delt with by other
> more straightforward methods.

Your use of the word "unpythonic" is particularly baffling in this context.
I'm not sure what the official definition of "pythonic" is, but it would
seem that "pythonic" is how one might go about doing things in Python
(the one obvious way to do it, of course). The very nature of a PEP is to
redefine the Python language in some way, and therefore, redefine "pythonic"
and "unpythonic" as well.

To condemn a change in a change in a language because it would result in a
usage different from how the language is currently used is just circular
logic. Not picking a fight, just an observation. ;)

Dave