dtml-var in python

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu May 8 09:47:11 EDT 2003

>>>>> "patrix" == patrix  <pheer at chello.nl> writes:

    patrix> i made a little example this is the dtml code:

    patrix> <dtml-if zoo> <dtml-var zoo> <dtml-var test>
    patrix> <dtml-else>
    patrix>  <form action="<dtml-var URL>" method="GET"> <input
    patrix> name="zoo"> <input type="submit" value="wat is zoo">
    patrix> </form>
    patrix> </dtml-if>

    patrix> and this is the python code:
    patrix> s = context.zoo return s
    patrix> but i wont work please tell me what i do wrong

Oh!  You should have mentioned that it was a form variable.  The more
information you provide in your original post, the sooner you'll get
help.

BTW, before I answer your question, if you haven't read The Zope Book
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/index_html
you should.  It's available in hardcopy and PDF.

Form variables are available in the REQUEST object.  In your python script

  REQUEST = container.REQUEST
  zoo = REQUEST['zoo']

If you are not sure if a value will be provided, and want to provide
default behavior, you can use

  zoo = REQUEST.get('zoo', 'BigZoo')

where 'BigZoo' is the default value (plug for my excellent long
distance service).

JDH