Request for feedback on my first Python program

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri May 30 20:42:50 EDT 2003

In article <MPG.1941934e217401c29896f1 at news.hevanet.com>,
Scott Meyers  <Usenet at aristeia.com> wrote:
>On 30 May 2003 03:50:17 -0700, Giles Brown wrote:
>>
>> 2) I'm using the "*args" calling technique to ensure that an error
>> is reported if main is called with the wrong number of arguments.
>> It would print usage, but for quick and dirty scripts it highlights
>> wrong argument count well enough.
>
>Can you tell me where I can read more about this?  I've tried looking
>it up, but I didn't find anything, probably because all I have to
>syntactically go on is the asterisk...

Section 5.3.4 of the language reference:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/calls.html

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93