GUI in Windows

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Wed May 28 15:50:55 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:15, morden wrote:
> Suppose I need to do some GUI on Windows. My understanding is that
> pythonTk is flaky on Windows.

And where is this information from?  I'd guess Tkinter on Windows is
about as stable as any of the 'portable' widget sets out there, with the
possible exception of QT.  I haven't yet used WxWindows, but there are
many supporters in that camp, and it may also be quite 'stable (I'm
honestly not sure).

>  My top requirement is that the toolkit is robust.

What does this mean to you?  Tk is very unlikely to crash, and the
Tkinter wrapper is very well tested with it, up to at least Tk version
8.3 (8.4 is still a bit too new to be fully trusted, as some things have
changed)

>  The second requirement is that the widget set is large.

Okay.  Tkinter along with Pmw may be large enough, without knowing any
more.

> I don't need anything fancy though,

Hmmm.  Do you really know what you want or need?  This seems to
contradict what you just said above.

> buttons, comboboxes, widgets for entering text/integers/date/time/etc,
> tables, groups, top and pull down menus.

Tkinter along with Pmw has all that.  In fact, Tkinter alone has all
that, but Pmw has some nice helpers.

> If it's portable it's a plus.

Agian, Tkinter plus Pmw.

> Again, I want something with extensive track record and _very stable_
> like pythonTk wrapper on UN*X platforms.

Tkinter.  Pmw.

> Thank you.

What GUI programming experience do you have?  What toolkits have you
used?  What do you need that Tk doesn't have?  Can you be more specific
about your needs?  The above requirements are vague.  Tk has the benfit
of being around longer than just about any of the portable widget sets,
and is actively maintained, so I'm not sure why you discount it.  Most
people who move on from it do NOT do so because of 'stability' or 'track
record' issues, I would venture.

Having used Tkinter a *LOT*, I'm ready to try WxWindows and/or QT.  But
Tkinter serves it's purpose well enough.

--

Chad Netzer
(any opinion expressed is my own and not NASA's or my employer's)