MySQL and Python on Linux - Proper Method?

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Sat May 17 10:58:03 EDT 2003

Markus Wankus schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I am about to dive into my first Python/wxPython app on Linux using a
> MySQL database backend.  I was wondering what the proper way of doing
> this on Linux is.  I can currently see a couple of options:
>
> 1) Using mxODBC (looks to be the most promising right now...)
> 2) Using MySQLdb (is this dead?) and probably SQLDict to make my life
> easier...

I'd also recommend using MySQLdb version 0.9.2, which works very well
and even provides cursors with iterator-protocol support. If you only
need dictionaries for SELECTs, you can also use
MySQLdb.cursors.DictCursor instead of the default one (took me some time
to figure out that dictionary cursors even exist ;).

Torsten