[Q]:Generate Unique ID's

Paul Rubin http
Sat May 24 07:04:04 EDT 2003

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
> I think this is correct only historically now: in current
> implementations, Microsoft uses a RNG to generate UUIDs, and has
> stopped using the Mac address. From the UuidCreate documentation:
>
> # In Windows XP/2000, the UuidCreate function generates a UUID that
> # cannot be traced to the ethernet/token ring address of the computer on
> # which it was generated.

Interesting, thanks.  It's still worth looking at a bunch of those
UUID's and comparing them.  I remember under NT 3.5 (the last time I
had anything to do with UUID's), the lower 48 (or maybe upper, or
something) bits of all the UUID's created on any one machine were
always the same (the MAC address).  If they're using some different
constant 48 bits instead, there's still the same uniqueness problem as
if they used the MAC.