pydoc and latin-1/iso-8859-1/scandinavian letters

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Wed May 21 11:25:48 EDT 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:

> The alternatives pyPgSQL and psycopg are already packaged quite well
> for Unix. For all *BSDs and Linux distributions I care about there
> are already packages.

The absence of such packages wouldn't refrain *me* from using it, but
since I have to support the other developers this is a kind of
drawback on these other modules (read below...).

>> We have developers in Linux and Windows XP doing
>> some collaborative work for a project here.
>
> pyPgSQL is also available as a Windows installer. In fact, I'm the
> guy who does the win32 stuff for pyPgSQL :-)

(... continuing from above)
This makes things better. I already have standardized the Linux
distribution the client will use and making packages for it is
easy.

Our main concern with a change is related to having to learn different
modules to use functions (stored procedures) and code the client.

>> pgdb was chosen because it is standard with PostgreSQL
>
> That is is currently contained in the PostgreSQL downloads and CVS has
> probably more historical than technical reasons.
>
> This will change. The database adapters (Python, Perl, Java, ...) are
> or are being removed from the PostgreSQL distribution. Most of them
> are being maintained at GBORG now.

Hmmm... Good to know that. This puts all other Python modules at the
same rank of PyGreSQL with regards to availability...

I'll take a look (again) at pyPgSQL. I used to use it at
FreeBSD. How's its use/performance for stored procedures/functions
with PostgreSQL?

> There will certainly be. As long as you're using 8-bit strings and
> no Unicode strings, all you can do at the client side is to send a
> "SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO ...", anyway.

:-\ I'm not using any Unicode string... Only iso-8859-1 strings. And I
couldn't get the "SET CLIENT_ENCODING" to work here.

>> I've already done that, as I said in my prior message. [...]
>
> Sorry, I didn't read it all too carefully it seems.

Don't worry. You're already helping (at least you showed me that I was
doing things the correct way).

Thanks,
--
Godoy.      <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>