A little disappointed so far

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Wed May 21 02:37:07 EDT 2003

In article <baefkv$rd7$1 at panix1.panix.com>, Aahz wrote:
><shrug>  I'm just reporting what I hear from people who are experts in
> both Perl and Python for replacing shell scripts.  I agree that it's not
> much of an edge and that Python's readability makes up for it, but not
> having to type three or four lines of imports does make a difference.

Which is why I still prefer PHP for short web scripts, though I generally
prefer Python's syntax and mod_python's publisher module for application
work. PHP has minimal preamble, no imports whatsoever (all functions are
global!), and variable interpolation, all of which help make the short
scripts shorter.

Sometimes, "scalability" means being able to scale down. I think this is
often forgotten in these "enterprise" days... =)

Peace,
Dave