rfc822 module problem

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun May 18 20:44:05 EDT 2003

[Chuck Swiger]

> Francois Pinard wrote:
> [ ... ]
>  > I do not know if RFC 822 allows ` +'.  You assert it does?

> Yes. [...]  The plus sign is allowed and is commonly used to specify a
> mailbox or other information in the local-part of an email address.  [...]

Oh, sorry, I did not express myself clearly.  I meant, "... allows the
expression of a date ending plainly with ` +'".

> Yes, the world would be a better place if all connections were capable of
> handling unescaped 8-bit traffic without restrictions.

Indeed.  It is a bit hard to believe that being 8-bit clean (and not having
artificial limits on line lengths) is still not tractable by modern computer
science. :-)

> > Another thing I never fully understood is the absence of significant
> > pressure on POSIX to use international dates (ISO 8601), so we are now
> > stuck with American dates all over the planet.

> If ISO 8601 means dates like 2003/5/16 [...]

More precisely: 2003-05-16.

> [...] be aware that (at least some) Americans prefer that format, since it
> sorts numerically in a nice fashion. [...]

I'm aware that Americans like slashes in all kind of variations over dates,
so slashed dates are often ambiguous, and not really dependable.  POSIX
dates are not ambiguous as defined, but they lack internationality.  ISO
8601 mandates dashes (or no separator when concision is a premium), the
year-month-date order, and two digits for months and days, and do not really
use words or abbreviations from a natural language.