Python Web Programming

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue May 6 09:20:14 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Tim Roberts wrote:
>>
>> I bought a copy of Steve Holden's "Python Web Programming" last week.
>> Then, in "Part II", he starts talking about the modules in the Python
>> library that are specifically aimed at network programming.  Here, he
>> solves what I think is one of the key shortcoming in Python
>> documentation: rather than just a shopping list of modules, he says "to
>> solve THIS
>> problem, you probaably want to look at THIS module".  His description of
>> SocketServer, asyncore, and asynchat have added immensely to my
>> knowledge, not only of "what", but of "why".
>
> Steve's book is excellent, but the section that describes asyncore and
> asynchat _might_ be considered a little dated, if there's no time devoted
> to a discussion of Twisted.  Although asyncore/chat are now part of the
> standard library, Twisted provides significantly more power and, IMHO,
> ease of use, and should be considered as a possibly very effective
> substitute in any situation involving SocketServer or asyncore...

Yes to all of this.  When Steve was writing, Twisted wasn't yet
ready for prime time.  Now, it is, and I agree it can productively
replace asyncore or SocketServer for any use -- except perhaps those
of a purely didactical nature (where the simplicity and indeed
poverty of asyncore and SocketServer can help dig into what's going
on and explain and understand the very fundamentals).

But this doesn't detract from the didactical worth of Steve's book,
IMNSHO.  Since there isn't yet any book about Twisted (nudges and
winks to those who SHOULD be doing something about that even now),
and of course the very brief coverage in the Nutshell cannot even
come close to compensating!, Steve's book remains a prime didactical
resource -- AND I suspect that the Twisted book, when it comes,
will be aimed "high enough" (i.e. at developers with enough maturity
and experience), that Steve's book will REMAIN a precious resource,
if nothing else as a "stepping stone" towards the Twisted one;-).

Alex