Protecting Source Code

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk at forbis.lt
Fri May 9 06:02:56 EDT 2003

On Friday 09 May 2003 10:02, Alex Martelli wrote:
> If your code is truly worth protecting from competent prying eyes,
> don't distribute it -- not all of it, at least: keep some under your
> own strict control, serving xml-rpc or the like from your website.
> THAT saves you from reverse engineering (and may afford creative
> billing opportunities, such as per-use fees and the like).

IOW, "don't sell your product".

Well, this is a big problem. E.g. we made Internet Banking (is project serious
enough?) on scripting language and we _sell_ it to the customer (i.e. give
them a product, where are scripts which can be *viewed* and *examined* if you
have access to the server, e.g. you're special bank employee). And more
problem (much bigger in this case), if some evil bank employee will examine
that scripts and then after finds a dangerous bug can do exploit it from the
other place. OTOH, *if* he will find a bug... :)

But if you want to _sell_ the project (not as Micro$haft does with Windoze:
they owns you, not you own your Windoze), but GIVE them your product. Then
they will examine and practically there is no way to protect your _ideas_ --
any licenses will fail because you need only idea and implementation way. All
else you can reproduce by your own.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Because I want to be wrong here. :)

--
Regards, Bogdan

31337 is a prime number, go figure...