where should I look for sys.stderr output?

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Tue May 13 11:57:39 EDT 2003

On Monday 12 May 2003 21:52, Steve Canfield wrote:
> I never did find where the stderr is being written to, but I did find
> my problem. My /usr/bin/python was version 1.52 and the MoinMoin
> package was expecting version 2.2. I changed this and the MoinMoin
> stuff works fine now, but a bunch of the Python system administration
> stuff tools are broken now. :(
>
> I'm leaving it as is for now because I don't feel like figuring out
> which version of python each script needs.

This is a problem that occurs frequently with some particular Linux
distributions. It's a shame because they in fact use Python for the admin
tools... but the fact that they never took the time to upgrade the distro to
work with 2.2 it's a real problem.

My suggestion, in situations such as yours, is to leave the default Python
instalation as is (i.e. #!/usr/bin/python), and then modify the bang header
of the applications that you are sure to depend on Python 2.2 accordingly
(#!/usr/bin/python2.2). Yes, it's true - you'll often find two or three
different versions of Python (1.5.2, 2.1 and 2.2) co-existing in the same
computer in this way.

Carlos Ribeiro
cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br