Python fot medium/large size projects

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 30 12:43:47 EDT 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:

> Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> >Python is arguably one of the most capable languages around for this kind
> >of environment.  My group, currently down to ten, has been as high as
> >about 15 Python-only developers, working on a project with (as of now)
> >something like 100K lines of code.
>
> When I pretend I'm a C programmer--OK, it's not pretense--my
> reaction to this is, "Your people can only handle 10,000 LOC
> each!?"

See Max's answer, for a start, as it does match the XP side of things
rather well: we tend to waste less time pumping out useless or
crappy code because of the focus on business value and unit tests.

On the other hand, I was only highlighting the largest program
we develop.  This is one actually builds from three out of
(currently) precisely 100 different top-level folders in our CVS
repository.  Roughly 25 are embedded projects, but several folders
also include a dozen or so utilities each.  I would estimate that
we currently maintain approximately twenty five applications
actively, and have perhaps twice that in active use throughout
the company or available for sale within our product line.

So it's actually somewhere between the two answers.  We are not
high volume producers, I think, but we could produce much faster
if we stopped using XP....  all crap without business value,
mind you, but much, *much* faster.  <0.0 wink>

-Peter