cygwin group

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon May 19 12:59:32 EDT 2003

An anonymous coward wrote:
> Is this the appropriate group for asking questions related to cygwin?
> I am using gcc under cygwin to compile c/c++ code and I want to get
> into coding programs that do graphics. If I find a way to do graphics
> in c/c++ and I compile inside of cygwin, will the compiled program
> work only under cygwin or will it also work under windows without
> cygwin?

I can answer this question here.

If you use Cygwin's C compiler, they will by default depend on the
Cygwin runtime. Use the "-mno-cygwin" compiler switch to get native
win32 executables. Or use mingw (the minimalist GNU environment for
Windows - http://mingw.sf.net/) in the first place.

You can always just redistribute the Cygwin runtime DLL, but note that
this will require your code to be compatible with the GPL. This means
you'll have to use a license at least as free as the GPL. Such as the
BSD license, MIT license, etc.

There's a FAQ about this on the Cygwin pages, of course.

-- Gerhard