Plotting of maps in python

Stephen D Evans sde at recombinant.demon.co.uk
Thu May 22 10:47:17 EDT 2003

Arnulf,

Regarding the SHAPE format - a quick search on the comp.infosystems.gis
newsgroup found a relevant article (4 Apr 2003 by Patrick Van Laake)
which referred to "shapelib"

http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/shapelib/index.html

Python SWIG bindings are available. This may be what you want.

I do not know of the Norwegian format SOSI

For TIFF there is libtiff at http://www.libtiff.org/, a version of
which may be already be linked with your wxWindows/wxPython if
wxUSE_LIBTIFF was set during compilation.

Regarding the map projection I do not know of any libraries. There is a
serious book that "covers the theory, methods and applications of map
projection transformation".

Map Projection Transformation: Principles and Applications
Yang Qihe, John P. Snyder, Waldo R. Tobler
Paperback - 384 pages (16 December, 1999)
Taylor & Francis; ISBN: 0748406689

There are many different types of map plot. The hardest part is to choose
the colours.

Stephen D Evans

"Arnulf Heimsbakk" <arnulf at rocketrange.no> wrote in message
news:oprpkdjgx7quxz5u at nntp-trd.uninett.no...
> Is there someone who has any experience with plotting of maps in python,
or
> know about a library for map projection and reading different map formats?
> The format SHAPE, TIFF and it would be rather nice to could read the
> Norwegian format SOSI. As for myself I will be using wxWindows.
Integration