Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Paul Rubin http
Mon May 5 04:01:04 EDT 2003

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I don't see the need for such a book.
And Python really isn't the ideal language to explain these ideas anyway.
It might have fit better as an extra chapter in SICP or something like that.

I certainly don't think it should be Python-centric since the behavior
of Python keeps changing.  It could compare different object and
meta-object systems like Python, Smalltalk, CLOS, etc.

I see you want to have a chapter about parsing and code generation,
which you'd normally find in a compiler book.  That makes me think
what would *really* be neat would be a book about the Python-in-Python
system, if you're involved with that.  It would then explain how P-i-P
implements metaclasses, threads, parsing, compilation, and everything
else, giving a concrete example system with lots of actual code
excerpts to study, sort of like Kernighan and Plauger's wonderful old
"Software Tools" book.  *That's* a book I would probably buy.