Protecting Source Code

John Wilson tug at wilson.co.uk
Fri May 9 07:15:40 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: Protecting Source Code

[snip]

> If your code is truly worth protecting from competent prying eyes,
> don't distribute it -- not all of it, at least: keep some under your
> own strict control, serving xml-rpc or the like from your website.
> THAT saves you from reverse engineering (and may afford creative
> billing opportunities, such as per-use fees and the like).

I'm very new to Python so this may be a silly suggestion..

Could you not encrypt the .pyc files and use a custom importer to decrypt
them on the fly?

Key management then becomes the issue but there are various approaches to
that problem depending on your level of paranoia.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk