passing by refference

Doug Quale quale1 at charter.net
Thu May 15 21:30:49 EDT 2003

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> Doug Quayle wrote:
>
> > This is a description of call-by-value using CLU values (object
> > references).
>
> so?  if, in doug-speak, object references are the same thing as
> values, that's also a description of call-by-object-reference.
>
> is your point that you can redefine words to make them mean
> whatever you want?  I think we've already noticed that...

Sheesh.  I gave an explicit definition of call-by-value.

Aho, Sethi and Ullman, "Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools"

"Call by Value

This is, in a sense, the simplest possible method of passing
parameters.  The actual parameters are evaluated and their r-values
are passed to the called procedure."

How does this not apply to Python?  Be sure to explain what an r-value
is in Python, and how it differs from the values passed to functions.
It looks to me like r-values in Python are object references.  What
are they in Fredrik-speak?