passing by refference

Joshua Marshall joshway_without_spam at myway.com
Thu May 15 19:36:34 EDT 2003

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Joshua Marshall wrote:

>> It's only here that I disagree with you.  I consider Python values
>> themselves to be object references

> if you keep inventing your own terminology, you'll never win this
> argument:

I've quoted it elsewhere in the thread, but I'll do it again here.  From

  http://python.org/doc/current/tut/node6.html

section 4.6:

  The actual parameters (arguments) to a function call are introduced
  in the local symbol table of the called function when it is called;
  thus, arguments are passed using call by value (where the value is
  always an object reference, not the value of the object).

Is "object reference" the term you claim I made up?

>     http://www.python.org/doc/current/ref/objects.html

>     "Objects, values and types"

>     _Objects_ are Python's abstraction for data. All data in a
>     Python program is represented by objects or by relations
>     between objects.

The documentation is a little schizophrenic about "objects" versus
"object references", but this isn't a problem, since Python has no
dereferencing operator.