It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun May 4 13:57:26 EDT 2003

    >> When I tried the experiment of building bsddb185 the other day as
    >>
    >> bsddb185 bsddbmodule.c
    >>
    >> in Modules/Setup, the file it created was a Version 2 file.

    Martin> So what BSDDB library have you been using here?

I *normally* use db3 or db4 as part of the fink setup on my Mac, but by
listing an unadorned compile line in Modules/Setup I get /usr/include/db.h
and the hashopen, etc which are in libc, a.k.a., 1.85.  Mac OS X is quite
BSDish under the covers, including to my surprise when I checked the other
day having db 1.85 available by default.

It still amazes me that vendors of any kind ship this library.  They must
have some licensing concerns about later versions.

Skip