Pre-newbie stuck on the on-deck circle

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue May 20 22:31:32 EDT 2003

    Mark> I'm investigating Python for determining its possibilities
    Mark> regarding a project I've inherited to plot line
    Mark> charts... essentially replicating this graphic:
    Mark> http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/iln/ahps/RiverDat/gifs/ccno1.png.
    Mark> I've learned enough so far to know that scipy.gplt and
    Mark> scipy.plt won't do enough of what I want.

For plotting libs, you may also want to check out
http://www.linmpi.mpg.de/dislin and http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

    Mark> I've done just about zero so far in Python, aside from type
    Mark> in a couple short examples.  There seems to be a mysterious
    Mark> lack of documentation on scipy.xplt and only slightly more
    Mark> on Gist, but the latest documentation on Gist I could find
    Mark> was from 5 years ago.  I started playing with some Gist
    Mark> examples and couldn't get past the first line ... not
    Mark> surprising with the amount of information I have found.  At
    Mark> the Python prompt, I typed

Did you see the scipy plotting tutorial at
http://www.scipy.org/site_content/tutorials/plot_tutorial?  This has
some information of xplt.  What platforms do you need to run on --
xplt is only for X windows platforms.

    Mark> How do I install scipy (and Gist [or xplt] once I get it)
    Mark> since there is no "./configure ; make ; make install" dance
    Mark> to do?

The typical way to install a python package is

  > python setup.py install

But it would help if you told us what platform you are working on!

JDH