converting float to int issue

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Mon May 5 14:28:24 EDT 2003

Alex wrote:
> Converting a float to an int produces strange results.  Is this just a bug
> or am I missing something?  I tried to search the bug database, but was
> unsucsessful.
>
> Converting a float to a long works as I would expect.
>
> Python 2.2.2 (#1, Apr 16 2003, 22:00:16)
> [GCC 3.2.1 20021207 (Gentoo Linux 3.2.1-20021207)] on linux2

> 0

> 0

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> OverflowError: float too large to convert

Something weird is going on with your specific Python and/or system.
I verified this and it works fine on Python 2.2.2.

Is your GCC broken? Is your libc broken? Did you compile with
esoteric optimization options? One of these is what I'm betting on.

--Irmen.

PS did you try to run Python's test set? "make test"