Need information-- Python Architecture

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu May 8 14:07:03 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1052415434.26584.python-list at python.org>,
kkm25  <kkm25 at drexel.edu> wrote:

>I had a question. I need to give an architecture audit on some opensource.
>Me and my teammates have chosen python.

That's a big bite, particularly for a class project.  How well do y'all
already know Python?

>Could someone please tell me, How I should go about the process of deriving
>it's architecture.
>
>1. Should I be looking at the sourcecode??
>2. If so what part of the source code should be concntrated upon.
>3. How exactly should I go about looking for it's architecture.

Python's architecture is best described as the union of several
architectural building blocks, each of which itself has a moderately
large architecture.  I'd suggest concentrating on one specfic aspect of
Python's architecture (perhaps the syntax or the bytecode engine, though
I'd personally do it on the object model).

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93