SSL connections with MySQLdb

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 04:25:13 EDT 2003

Greg Fortune wrote:

> I think I've got a working patch (very small) to allow SSL connections
> through the MySQLdb binding, but I don't have a SSL enabled MySQL
> server to test it against yet.  Anyone out there who has wanted SSL
> connections for python/mysql for a while and wants to help me test it?

Perhaps not the type of answer you're looking for, but have you
considered using stunnel? Which is an open source proxy which
secures socket connections between clients and servers, even if
the clients and servers are not SSL aware.

http://www.stunnel.org/

The precise use case you mention, encrypting MySQL client-server
comms, is explicitly described on the web site.

http://www.stunnel.org/examples/mysql.html

Might save you some complexity?

HTH,

--