So, how long does it take to learn

Jay O'Connor joconnor at cybermesa.com
Sun May 18 23:17:28 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 04:06:06 +0100, Graham Nicholls
<graham at rockcons.co.uk> wrote:

>I know thats an open ended question, but how long would you reckon it takes
>to get to be fairly productive, bearing in mind I've been preogramming for
>years ?

Hard to say.  I was programming in Smalltalk for years and I picked up
Python faily easily and quickly.  Mostly because I could find
simularities in in the OO model and an appreciation for the clean if
not always terse syntax.

Your strong background in Perl may work against you a bit, unless you
can try not to do everything 'like Perl' and instead look for the
pythonic idioms that express the same concepts, even if in a different
way than you are used to

Take care,
Jay