Plotting of maps in python

Arnulf Heimsbakk arnulf at rocketrange.no
Fri May 23 04:24:04 EDT 2003

> Regarding the SHAPE format - a quick search on the comp.infosystems.gis
> newsgroup found a relevant article (4 Apr 2003 by Patrick Van Laake)
> which referred to "shapelib"
>
> http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/shapelib/index.html
>
> Python SWIG bindings are available. This may be what you want.
>
> I do not know of the Norwegian format SOSI
>
> For TIFF there is libtiff at http://www.libtiff.org/, a version of
> which may be already be linked with your wxWindows/wxPython if
> wxUSE_LIBTIFF was set during compilation.
>
> Regarding the map projection I do not know of any libraries. There is a
> serious book that "covers the theory, methods and applications of map
> projection transformation".
>
> Map Projection Transformation: Principles and Applications
> Yang Qihe, John P. Snyder, Waldo R. Tobler
> Paperback - 384 pages (16 December, 1999)
> Taylor & Francis; ISBN: 0748406689
>

> There are many different types of map plot. The hardest part is to choose
> the colours.
>
> Stephen D Evans

Thank you for a most informative reply. I will take a look at the
“shapelib” and the book. I will be hunting for more libraries and
information before I can begin my project. It is best to get an overview
before I decide what to use.

You may be right about the colors. What to choose, what to choose... It’s
some time before that, yet :)

--
Arnulf Heimsbakk
- If you don’t succeed, then the definition of succeed is wrong.