persistant web state

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu May 22 08:26:27 EDT 2003

"xam" <ma at Bell.com> wrote in message news:<qUKya.44553$h42.9613 at twister.nyc.rr.com>...
> I took a look at POSH (very cewl!) but I do not see a way to use it with CGI
> as is. It appears that it is mainly designed for forked processes' memory
> sharing, such as the Matrix.py example.

I must say that I haven't actually looked at it in detail yet.

> I do not see a way (with the current interface) to pick up a posh-shared
> object from shared memory. (although it is probably possible to pickle a
> wrapper object of a posh-shared object and then unpickle it in the CGI, but
> then the pickling problems I pointed out above are back)

I wonder if it could be extended so that processes can attach to
arbitrary shared memory segments (with all the usual UNIX-level
permissions to prevent misuse). The recurring problem would always be
how your different Python processes interpret the memory, although the
details are presumably present in the way POSH in its current state
sets up forked processes.

In any case, I thought that one possibility, given the special nature
of the original Smalltalk system under discussion, would be to employ
POSH in some Web server adapter (such as mod_python) or possibly an
actual Web server itself, if that is where the process forking
actually occurs.

Paul