Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 5 15:03:26 EDT 2003

mertz at gnosis.cx (David Mertz) writes:

> Here's the story though: For a number of months, I have had in mind
> the idea of writing a book called _Metaprogramming in Python_.

Here's a convenient place to plant a small rant: I object somewhat to
the notion of Metaprogramming being something special performed by
wizards with pointy hats and keepers of secrets.

One of the things I really like about Python is that it blurs the
distinction between *using* a copmuter and *programming* a computer.
I really don't want to introduce another conceptual layer between
programming and metaprogramming.

I have no evidence that that's what David will/would do, but I wanted
to say it anyway :-)

Cheers,
M.

--
  I don't have any special knowledge of all this. In fact, I made all
  the above up, in the hope that it corresponds to reality.