Combining Lists and Tupels

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Thu May 22 10:22:46 EDT 2003

Quoth Martin P:
  [...]
> f=open("test.csv")
> try:
>     while 1:
>             currentline=f.readline()
>             data=string.split(currentline, ";")
>
>             address=data[2], data[3], data[4]
>             list[i]=data[0], data[1], address
>             i+=1
> finally:
>     print "test error"
>
> But this does not work. [...]

*What* doesn't work?  Tell us what you expect this code to do, and
what it does instead.  Don't make us guess; there's several
strange things in this code.

> [...] I think my problem is with the combination of the
> list[i] and the Tupel address.

Why do you think this?  Again, don't make us guess.

Now I'll guess.  I guess that you're seeing an exception raised at
the line
    list[i]=data[0], data[1], address
One obvious problem here is that you nowhere create an object by
the name 'list'; so instead this name will refer to the built-in
list type, which cannot be subscripted.  If this happens to be
your problem, then adding
    mylist = []
up top (before the loop) and changing that line to
    mylist[i] = data[0], data[1], address
will fix *that* problem.  Then you'll encounter another problem on
the same line.

Steven Taschuk                           staschuk at telusplanet.net
"I'm always serious, never more so than when I'm being flippant."
                            -- _Look to Windward_, Iain M. Banks