Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue May 6 04:09:08 EDT 2003

Tony C wrote:

> I want to do some GUI work, mostly for Win32 programs.
> Since I don't know either one,  I have to start from scratch with both.
>
> Which is faster to learn ?
> Which GUI is better to use, in the long run ?

I personally prefer PyQt on both scores -- Rempt's book is a HUGE
plus in helping you learn it faster, trolltech's superb docs are
similarly helpful in the long run, and theKompany's BlackAdder
product repackages part of the latter in Python terms (removing all
references to C++ terms and concepts).

*However* -- if you're looking for freebies only, wxPython may be
better anyway, despite PyQt's technical and documentation superiority.

Qt/PyQt is *NOT* free (unless you use it only on free operating
systems to develop free software): you have to PAY for use on non-free
OS's and/or to develop non-free programs yourself -- it starts from
about $50 for a personal license of BlackAdder (and about the same
for Rempt's book, unless you're happy to use the online version,
which IMHO isn't anywhere as well-formatted and usable as the paper
one), and only goes UP from there.  With wxPython, you stand a
chance to get a LOT more without spending money.

Alex