Tkinter / Idle weirdness

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed May 21 06:15:02 EDT 2003

Henk Csaba wrote:

> I installed Python-2.2.2 + Tcl/Tk on my Linux + glibc-2.2.5 + gcc-3.1 system
> from source.
>
> I experienced some weird behaviour that I didn't see at other installations
> I could put my hand on: when I started Idle, it stood up, but doing *any*
> action (pressing buttons, clicking mouse) it spit an error message like
> this (and failed to perform the action):

> ValueError: invalid literal for int(): ??

you're using a Tk version (8.4.2) released *after* the Python 2.2.2 release.
the Tcl/Tk folks don't always care about backwards compatibility, so all sorts
of things can happen if you do that :-(

this has been fixed in Python 2.3.

> Has anybody ever seen anybody like this?

googling for the actual error message is a good way to find out...

</F>