libraries and paths ... (argh!)

Axel Bock news-and-lists at the-me.de
Thu May 8 13:57:25 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm writing here cause I have an annoying problem.
I have:
	- linux gentoo 1.4rc_somewhat
	- custom compiled berkeley DB 4.1 in /home/.../db-4.1
	- custom compiled python22 in /home/.../python22
	- an "older" (3.2.9, I think) berkeley in /usr/lib
	- a problem :-)

I downloaded bsddb3 for accessing the berkeley DB files. I somehow
managed that bsddb3 compiled/linked against my custom berkeley, but I have
still an older version in /lib.
Now (I think) the dumb thing always finds the one in /lib first when
starting python and importing bsddb3 (the bsddb3 tests also dont work as
well). The error I get is:
-------------------snip----------------------
>>> import bsddb3
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/tm/projects/python22/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ \\
	bsddb3/__init__.py", line 46, in ?
    import _db
ImportError: /home/tm/projects/python22/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ \\
	bsddb3/_db.so: undefined symbol: log_archive

Hm. As said - I think it finds first the one in /lib, which is wrong.
I already set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct location, but ... ??

Has anyone any hint how I could solve this? All help is very much
appreciated!

Thanks in advance, greetings and bye,

		Axel.