Newbie poll: GUI building in Python

JanC usenet_spam at janc.invalid
Wed May 21 21:40:42 EDT 2003

Andrei <see at my.signature.com> schreef:

>>       When I run this (on Win98), it sucks up a gigantic wad of systme
>> resources -- my little resource monitor utility indicates that
>> Boa takes about 30-40%.  I have never used any program that takes
>> anywhere close to this much.  Is this just part of the deal, or is there
>> some trick I'm missing to get it to be less of a resource hog?

> With the latest CVS version, it takes about 3 seconds to load and uses
> ~30 Mb of memory on my system (Athlon 2k+/512Mb/WinXP). Delphi 4 uses
> ~20 Mb, so 30Mb for Boa it seems quite acceptable.

"Windows resources" has nothing to do with "normal" memory usage.

Windows 9x reserves a *fixed* part of the system's memory for keeping API
data structures.  Fixed means that you can't change the size of that memory
area and that it has the same size on a 16 MiB system as on a system with 1
GiB of RAM.  There are 3 categories of these resources: "system", "user"
and "GDI" (graphics/GUI).  When one of them gets out of space, Windows
simply crashes.  :-(

A certain program might use 500 MiB of RAM but only 1% of "resources",
while another program is no more than 150 KiB, but crashes the system by
consuming 30% of system resources when you have only 25% left.

The "resource monitor" utility shows the remaining free space for the 3
types of resources.  If you don't like system crashes, it's always a good
idea to keep an eye on it when using Win9x...

BTW: Windows NT (including 2K/XP) has no fixed limit on these resources, so
there you won't see this problem.

--
JanC