Advice on teaching a 1 day Python class

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri May 23 13:06:21 EDT 2003

In article <bagr21$be2$1 at news.vcd.hp.com>, djw  <dwelch at vcd.hp.com> wrote:

>I have been asked (OK, I volunteered) to teach a one day class on
>Python to a group of software engineers (typ. experience would be C,
>C++ and/or Java programming) at my company. I am fairly experienced
>with Python and could probably come up with some reasonable content,
>but I was wondering if anyone had any nuggets that I could dig up that
>would get me started? I was thinking that somebody has probably done
>this before and may have a slideset, class notes, or some such thing
>available for sharing. I have just about every Python book available,
>but I don't really think I could get through an entire book in one day,
>even in condessed form. My goal is to get people enough familiarity and
>confidence to get started using Python on their next project without
>hesitation. (World domination is a secondary goal.)

Okay, under this goad I've finally put up my OSCON2002 slides for
"Python for [Perl] Programmers".  As the brackets indicate, while the
non-Python examples come from Perl, it's aimed at experienced
programmers in general.  Hope you find it useful.

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles:  boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc.  But that's one of the things I like
about it."  --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 93