Just good advice? = WAS("Re: getting system date")

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri May 16 13:06:32 EDT 2003

David Broadwell wrote:

> "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote
>>> And if it's trying to mimic a list then treating it like a list isn't
>
>>> an end of the world thing ...
>
>> Exactly: indeed, it's what SHOULD happen whenever feasible.
>
> I'll try to keep that in mind, but I'll admit that it's a new concept.

It's known as "polymorphism" -- maybe the hi-falutin' greek word
may halp make it memorable;-).

>> ... take this up with my editor -- I suspect there were many times
>> when SHE had substantial trouble realizing I'm a writer, too;-}
>
> Well considering that I had commented to friends that I thought you
> should be a writer, glad I was right. That you authored exactly the
> book I will be buying is purely a bonus.

Now I hope this hasn't gotten your expectations up TOO high -- that's
the disadvantage of being put on a pedestal: one needs a very good
ladder (or, depending on the pedestal, perhaps a parachute)...

Alex