weak versus dynamic, definitional origins

Stephen Ferg steve at ferg.org
Sun May 18 12:07:20 EDT 2003

> Got into
> an argument with a coworker the other day who was insisting
> that strong=static.

Funny coincidence.  I just put up a page with Java/Python comparing
Python and Java, and of course this issue came up.

In researchingg it, I came to the conclusion that this is an area of
big confusion, in part because different people use the same term to
mean different things.  Origins of the different usages are obscure.

Anyway, if you would like to see what I came up with (and an answer in
which strong DOES NOT = static), look at the last page of:
http://home.att.net/~stephen_ferg/projects/python_java_side-by-side.html

Hope this helps with your coworker!  :-)

-- Steve Ferg (steve at ferg.org)