Perl Vs Python, Associative arrays, regex, and other considerations.

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Mar 6 12:14:12 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1046453475.8912.python-list at python.org>,
Rob Renaud  <rpgnmets at aol.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>> .
>> Mike, we disagree.  While I think enough of GUIfied Perl
>> to maintain the authoritative FAQ for Perl/Tk, my view is
>> that there's no comparison with the breadth of toolkit
>> bindings Python offers.  PyQt, wxPython, ...  make for a
>> stronger effective range of choices than I see from any
>> other language, including C.
>
>What about C++?  Considering both Qt and wxWindows are C++ libraries with
>Python bindings.  I think it's fair to say most GUI libraries are written
>in either C or C++, and every library written in C can be accessed easily
>from C++.
>
>What popular GUI libraries are available for Python and not available for
>C++?

Swing.

Among others.  Yes, I believe that Python enjoys an exceptionally
broad range of interesting GUI bindings.  While I recognize that
it's provocative of me to argue that it's a broader *effective*
range than any other language can boast, I'm sincere in that, and
at least moderately well-informed.

The claim must be wrong, of course, in the abstract.  Python's
written in C, so it's an easy syllogism to conclude that C's (and
therefore C++'s) bindings be a strict superset.  'Tisn't so, though,
in the following sense:  Python makes a good language for Java GUI
toolkits also, in its Jython implementation (and potentially other
Python-Java combinations--more on that, later), and I also argue
that Tk, for example, is far more practical as a toolkit through
Tkinter than it is from the perspective of a C coder.
must be a strict superset of
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net