PEP 312 - Making lambdas implicit worries me, surely it's just the name 'lambda' that is bad...

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Wed Mar 12 17:54:37 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:21:14AM +1300, Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
> If I were re-designing Python I would probably just
> replace "lambda" with "func". ("fn" is a bit too short
> for my liking, and besides, how do you pronounce it?)

short is good, non-alpha is good.  A problem with the lambda keyword is
that it sticks out like a sore thumb and jars the eye when reading.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=python+jackdied+lambda&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=mailman.1046700677.15097.python-list%40python.org&rnum=2

A groups.google link to a post where (in the footnotes) I mention that 'lambda'
is both A: a long keyword, and B: one of the few keywords that never starts
a line (hence it jars the eye).

Variables-to-the-left-of-me-arguments-on-my-right-ly,

-labmda, err, jackdied