PEP 312 - Making lambdas implicit worries me, surely it's justthe name 'lambda' that is bad...

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Mar 3 14:43:27 EST 2003

Dave Brueck wrote:

> Oh, c'mon. This is a frequently cited yet overstated wart. Yeah,
> technically it's a problem, but much more a theoretical than practical
> one
> - in practice the only time it causes problems is when you're doing
> something questionable anyway, like reusing a variable without
> initializing it to some known value.

Doesn't seem anymore a wart than for loops pollute the namespace with
the iteration variable.  If one considers that a wart as well, then list
comprehensions were only following suit.  Consistency with a
long-standing wart would be better than keeping the old wart and
introducing a _new_ one by making a very similar structure behave
differently (one pollutes and one doesn't).

/  \ Strange is our situation here upon earth.
\__/ Albert Einstein
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.